5 Ideas for Portion Control
When it comes to maintaining healthy eating habits, portion control should be at the top of your priority list! Changing what and how you eat may seem challenging at first, but with some simple portion control techniques, you’ll find that making a small change can make a significant difference to your health and wellbeing.
Why do we overeat?
There are a variety of factors that can trigger overeating, with stress being one of the most common. Increased stress can cause the body to produce more cortisol, also known as the “stress hormone”, which causes an increase in appetite and cravings for foods higher in fat and sugar. So, if you are experiencing increased daily stress, you may be more inclined to overeat on a consistent basis – which eventually leads to weight gain and other health issues.
Overeating can also be the result of bad habits built up over time, including:
- Eating too fast
- Snacking when bored
- Treating unhealthy foods as a reward
- Putting more food on your plate than you need
Adopting and sticking to healthier habits will help you make better decisions when it comes to portions. The best way to start is by updating your grocery list to make sure you always have these healthy ingredients on hand:
- Lean proteins like chicken and fish
- Fresh fruits and veggies
- Whole grains
- Healthy snacks like our EVER BETTER™ Protein Cookie Bites
Avoid buying “trigger” foods that are most likely to throw you off course, such as candy, potato chips, and other overly processed items.
Once you are stocked up with the right ingredients, you’ll be ready to start trying any or all of these ideas for portion control:
5 Ideas for Portion Control
- Meal Prep with Portion Control Containers. Prepping your weekly meals ahead of time is a great way to save time during the week while also keeping your portions in check. Portion control containers like this one can help you choose the right amount of proteins, veggies, and whole grains for a balanced meal.
- Use Portion Control Plates. When it comes to sitting down for a nice meal, portion control plates are a great way to ensure you have the right balance and quantity of foods. We love this bamboo and BPA-free portion control plate from Amazon.
- Pre-Portion Your Snacks. Healthy snacks are a great way to stay energized and full between meals. By pre-portioning your snacks and storing them in resealable bags, you’ll have an easy-to-grab snack on the go while also ensuring that you don’t overdo it.
- Order Half of Your Meal To-Go. You don’t have to give up dining out when you are watching your portions! Most restaurant portions are larger than necessary, so when placing your order ask to have half of the meal served and the other half boxed up. You can also ask if smaller lunch portions are available.
- Drink Water Before Your Meals. Hunger can be your body’s way of letting you know it needs some hydration. By sipping a glass of water before you sit down to eat, you will curb any hunger signals caused by dehydration and instead eat only what you actually need.
With these simple portion control tips, you can create healthier eating habits that will help keep you and your loved ones feeling full, satisfied, and on track with your goals. And when your sweet tooth comes calling, you will be more inclined to make better choices like a single serving of our EVER BETTER™ Protein Cookie bites! Not only are these chewy cookies packed with protein and probiotics, but they are also low in sugar, keto friendly, and gluten free!
Let’s live EVER BETTER™ - together!