Celebrate Healthy Aging With These Tips
September is Healthy Aging Month, which means it’s the perfect time to celebrate the many positive aspects of growing older! As the number of older Americans continues to increase, more people are seeking out ways to get the most out of life as we age. For some, this may include significant changes like a new career or moving to a new location. For others, this may include smaller, everyday changes to promote a happier life. No matter your healthy aging goals, the foundation of it all is finding new ways to maintain optimal physical, mental and overall well-being.
That’s why we’re sharing some of our favorite practical tips that will help you celebrate healthy aging today and every day!
- Get Moving. The normal wear and tear of everyday life will take its toll on our muscles and joints over time. Even so, it’s important to stick to a daily workout routine while protecting your body from aches and pains. Low-impact workouts are easier on your joints and done mostly through fluid movements to reduce the risk of strain and injury. Some of our favorites include swimming, stationary cycling, walking (keep a brisk pace to get your heart pumping), and yoga. Just 15-30 minutes a day is all you need to stay on track.
- Eat a Balanced Diet. While healthy eating is important at every age, it’s especially important for older adults who are managing lifestyle and health changes. The good news is that you don’t have to give up all of the foods you enjoy; rather, you have to create a balance between lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains, fruits, and veggies. It’s also time to think about squashing unhealthy eating habits, including indulging in overly-processed foods and sugary snacks. For example, instead of traditional cookies or candies for dessert, reach for our EVER BETTER™ Protein Cookie Bites. Not only are these soft-baked cookies packed with protein and probiotics, but they are also low in sugar, keto friendly, and gluten free!
- Stay Connected. Keeping in regular touch with your friends and family can help reduce stress, anxiety, and isolation – which is especially important as we age. In addition to scheduling regular phone or video chat check ins with your family, older adults should enlist the help of their peers to stay healthy and active. Now is a great time to grab a group of friends for daily walks around the neighborhood, weekly trips to local restaurants, or a fun night in catching up with one another.
- Create New Self-Care Rituals. In addition to diet, exercise, and socialization, daily self-care rituals are an important part of maintaining optimal health as we age. Small rituals like mindful meditation, taking a hot bath, scheduling a monthly massage, journaling, or just kicking up your feet to listen to your favorite music are fun and simple things you can do to show yourself some TLC. Not only will you help curb stress and anxiety, but you may also find that you start sleeping better!
- Say “Yes” More Often. When we are younger, we often find ourselves making compromises in order to take care of others, get ahead at work, or create financial stability for ourselves and our families. These compromises often include passing up opportunities to travel, learn a new skill, or even take some time to indulge and relax when needed. One of the many gifts of aging is the ability to re-prioritize your time and resources and focus on all the things you’ve been putting off! Go ahead and say “yes” to that vacation, enrolling in a class, or just taking a day to do the things you enjoy most.
By making small, practical changes to our everyday habits, we can stay energized, focused, and on track with all of our healthy aging goals! If you are looking for more inspiration, check out some of the other articles here at The Better Blog.
Let’s live EVER BETTER™ - together!